Springer Ranch

Gerlach Brothers Road Ranch & Store

The Springer Ranch was the first ranch in the Texas Panhandle, but due to its brief life, the still-extant JA Ranch of Charles Goodnight also claims that honor. In the spring of 1895, AG (Jim) Springer appropriated a spot of land in Hemphill County on Boggy Creek just north of its junction with the Canadian River.

He constructed a multi room dugout to serve as a general store, hotel, and saloon, as well as living quarters. In addition, he dug a tunnel to the nearby corral and stable.

Since Springer's holstery was on the military route from Fort Supply to Fort Elliot, it quickly became a supply depot and gathering place for buffalo hunters, soldiers, and cowboys. Black troops found it to be the only place they were welcome to play cards and enjoy good whiskey and tobacco.

In 1878 a post office was established there under the name of Boggy Station, it was closed after only 2 months and mail was routed to Fort Supply.

In 1875, an outfit herding 2000 cattle crossed the River near his roadhouse and sold Springer 300 head and left Tom Leadbetter, a young trail hand, to help manage them.

In 1878, Springer and Leadbetter were killed in a gunfight with disgruntled buffalo soldiers over a poker game. They were buried at the ranch.

The ranch entered a new phase after Springer's brother sold the business to Tuttle and Chapman from Dodge City. Tuttle bought out Champan's interest and personally operated the Springer Ranch for 2 years.

Tuttle used a CT brand and increased the herd to 1800 head. During Tuttle brief tenure, the post office was reestablished in 1879 under the name Springer Ranch; it remained in operation until 1885.

In 1881, Tuttle sold out to a Denver horse ranch partnership, the Rhodes and Aldridge Company. They changed the brand to Quarter Circle U and operated the ranch as absentee owners. Around 1889, the Springer Ranch Company sold out all its holdings piecemeal. The roadhouse was abandoned and the ranch ceased to exist.

Since the 1940's, part of the Springer roadhouse site has been covered by Lake Marvin.